Tuesday 8 March 2011

Shrove Tuesday & Fettisdagen

So today is Shrove tuesday back home which despite not being at all religious means a heap of pancakes for me! I couldn't not have pancakes even if it made me miss home a bit.

pancakesy


pancakes

Most people I know opt for sweet sweet and more sweet but we (my family) have always started with savory and then had sweet for desert. So as I usually do I took mine with mushrooms and a creamy cheesy garlic sauce to start, then followed up with Nutella & cape gooseberries, then last but not least good old maple syrup! & to shake away the homesickness I did it all to the Amelie Soundtrack and this song! The kitchen is splattered with batter and I'm so full I can't bare to wash up, but it was definitely worth it!

I expect I'm not the only one around these parts who is fit to burst since Swedes celebrate Fettisdagen (Fat Tuesday) today and feast on yummy Semla. Tomorrow,a day late, I shall do the same. In fact some friends from school and I will bake our own which I'm super excited about!
I'll have to be a bit careful I don't eat too many since I read that back in 1771, the Swedish King Adolf Fredrik reportedly passed away after consuming a luxurious banquet rounded off with 14 of these buns, served in a bowl of warm milk. Golly!

No comments:

Post a Comment