Thursday 3 February 2011

Röhsska

Right behind our school & actually visible from my desk is the wonderful Röhsska museum!
I went last week to check out the front exhibtion as it was the last weekend. And well because its right there and it's a bit of a crime that it's taken me this long to visit!

Entrance is free if you are 25 and under or studying at HDK- luckily for me I'm both of these things (just!) The lovely staff advised me to start at the top and work my down so this I did. I brushed shoulders with Buddha, saw behind the scenes of the fashion and theatre world, made some origami and laughed a little at the snoring gallery assistant slumped in a chair in one of the darker galleries. It's harder to stay awake in these situations than you probably think. Especially given that I only saw about 4 other visitors! there were definitely days at the V&A where they stuck me in Jewellery & I was sure I'd fall asleep on the job, luckily I never did.

I was wondering around the cases unable to read most of the descriptions, thinking how much it reminded me of the V&A. Only smaller by far and so much quieter. Imagine having the V&A to yourself for a day! it felt nice and as I was pondering this very thought I came accross some english descriptions about the history of the museum and how it was actually modeled on the V&A!

There were some very lovely interactive bits too, origami, embroidery and crochet- I was a bit conscious of time so didn't stop to add to the beautiful white embroidery & the crochet station was busy - but next time for sure!

Front was iteresting too, I wasn't sure I liked the way it was curated at first, everything was on one plinth in the center of a white cube room. It felt a little busy - but maybe its nice to see things like this rather than piece by piece- I still can't decide!
I got to see the designed by animal products which was treat, unfortunately you couldn't take photos- although other people were. I had asked upon entering and felt it would be rude to then take some anyway despite there being no staff around. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked!



lamp_by_rabbit_FRONT


both from Front

No comments:

Post a Comment